Friday, June 25, 2010

While Driving, Russians have the Self-Preservation Instincts of Lemmings


6/25/2010

It’s hard to believe, I’m a fourth of the way through my time here, and it been a whirlwind. Classes have proven to be difficult but also sufficiently interesting. I’ve learned that there is a difference between Л and Ль. There is a very big difference and it requires me to perform intricate maneuvers with my tongue. I also just spent the evening reading a Russian fairytale out loud to my host family and being corrected at every turn. It’s nice to know they care that I get it right.

Now, I’m going to act like the man on the Starburst commercial, and spot a contradiction. Politeness dictates that when you walk in to a Russian house, you take off your shoes and they present you with slippers of some form. They are very fastidious about the cleanliness of their feet. My host mother made me wash mine last night before bed. Now the contradiction, public toilets are the things out of my worst nightmare. I won’t describe what I have seen, but needless to say I won’t miss it.

Now, to explain the title of my post. If you have been fortunate enough not to experience Russian driving, you are very lucky. I was in the back seat of a car that was very nearly in three accidents in the space of about five minutes. I listened to my host sister curse out the driver of the bus that decided to switch lanes while we were cruising along next to it. By the end of the drive, I was quite literally scared stiff.

This weekend will be spent studying, though I’m sure between my group and my host family, I will have some social life. I promise.

PS: What does one get, when a very tall Russian man sits in a very small Russian car?

One, very squished, Oleg Alexandrovich.


Disclaimer: These are not the views of CLS, American Councils, or the State Department

No comments:

Post a Comment